Some observations about Paranormal talking heads


I like to write when I'm fired up about something. It helps me to express my thoughts and motivates me. Recently, I viewed something that did that. People were spewing their paranormal ignorance, proudly, arrogantly, and with total disregard for facts, truth, or knowledge. I listened, laughed, and was taken down the rabbit hole of pure stupidity. If you are going to go public with opinions, please, please, please, do some research. Read a book. Watch a documentary, take a course, get some experience under your belt. I don't know; do SOMETHING to better yourself and your knowledge.

 They didn't seem to be aware, for instance, that actual scientists study paranormal phenomena. The science is called Parapsychology. It's been around for a long time. You can get an actual advanced degree in Parapsychology. One such organization is the Parapsychological Association, which is the international professional organization of scientists and scholars engaged in the study of psychic experiences, or 'psi', such as telepathy, clairvoyance, remote viewing, psychokinesis, precognition, etc. 


The primary objective of the Parapsychological Association is to achieve a scientific understanding of these experiences. In view of this, PA members develop and refine methodologies for studying psi and its physical, biological, or psychological underpinnings. They assess hypotheses and theories through experiments, conceptual models and field investigations, and seek to integrate their findings with other scientific domains. There are many such organizations worldwide. Scientists frequently share research and finding with one another, unlike paranormal groups.

 Ok. So, when it comes to protocol during an investigation, scientific methodology is the best. Experiment, repeat, debunk, document, control factors, hypothesize, develop a theory, collect evidence, repeat. I know it's not exactly proper to reference one's own research and writing in a persuasive article, but here goes. Read my article: pjwellingtonwtph.blogspot.com Science vs Pseudoscience, published here and in "supernaturalmagazine". Also, read my article called Certification here. I know I can't make you read them, but I wish you would.  
The article on certification and experts in the paranormal is all about what exactly is an expert? How do you qualify an expert. How do you certify people as professionals? Can the paranormal community ever wrap their heads around this idea, which is the norm in all other fields, science, medicine, law, education, even I.T. Oh, probably not.


 I love quantum physics. Do I understand it, even a little? Good grief, no. But I am aware that quantum physicists are studying the paranormal to theorize whether or not there is a relationship. It's science, folks. Watch the documentary called, "Superhumans". It will blow your mind, and expand your knowledge. I attended a symposium at Gettysburg College about 5 years ago. I had no idea such people existed. Doctors, journalists, scientists, psychiatrists, authors, people from all walks of life, experts in their fields, all studying the paranormal. This symposium is held once a year somewhere on the planet. It was heady stuff. But it showed me that there was a large body of research underway by people from all walks of life. 

 Like all sciences that explore theory before ever declaring something to be fact, the paranormal study of phenomena that is currently unexplained is theory. Someday many of the things we do not understand will be proven fact. Until then, can we agree to do our best to study, theorize, experiment, document our evidence, and do the best we can for our clients and our subject? 

 And on the ethical questions: 

Don't lie. You'll be found out.
Don't make stuff up. You'll get it wrong and be found out.
 Don't betray a client's confidentiality, ever.
 Don't misrepresent yourself. 
Don't speak if you don't have the faintest clue what you're talking about.

 And please stop listening to idiots.

Comments

Popular Posts