STOP!!! criticism of groups has to stop
The paranormal field is having a rough time, for many reasons. However, this negative talk, this constant put down and criticism of other groups is just making me sick.
It needs to stop.
Here are some simple ways to help:
1. Don't contribute to it. As much as you want to put down an individual or group that has offended you, kicked you out, or said or done something stupid, keep your mouth shut. Let the world, other people, life, play itself out. If you stay silent, maybe others will too, and this flood of psychological sludge, muck, put down partying, will subside, then stop.
2. Don't read it or support it in any way. If a website for a paranormal group or individual investigator suddenly becomes negative, superior, critical of others, starts naming names or groups, sign off of it. Resign your membership. Oh, and post why you are leaving. You don't support negative, public put downs of others. Simple. Then say goodbye.
3. Tell others to also sign off websites that engage in such negative talk. If they lose their audience they will have no influence, power or authority to continue.
4. It's ok to speak your mind about ISSUES. IDEAS. THEORIES. TECHNIQUES. EQUIPMENT. It's NOT OK to speak negatively or critically about people, individuals or groups made up of individuals. These are people, many of which are simply doing their best. If you don't like what they are doing, or how they are doing it, perhaps offer, privately, to mentor them.
5. Keep it light, fun, honest and with integrity. Laugh, then move on. Try not to take offense when others put you down. Don't retaliate. Don't hit back with your own nasty comments on a public forum.
6. Paranormal unity starts where all human unity starts..not with agreeing with others or refusing to voice your opinion. It starts with a heart of kindness, compassion and caring about others. Respect another's differences and diversity.
Now, here is a made up discourse that resembles what I witnessed on a social network. I have not posted the actual comments here. I have summarized and combined some of what I read into fictionalized examples. No names or places have been identified.
This is what is going on. This is what you need to stop.
***It makes experienced paranormal investigators very angry when inexperienced, new (to the paranormal) people mess up. It reflects on all of us and effects all of us. ***
***Also,God forbid you criticize a TV show. Some people will get very offended if you do that. So you can't teach them either, because they believe that paranormal TV shows are where you get your knowledge about ghosts. These people actually keep lists of the people they do not like or respect on the net who bash TV shows. (wow, am I ever in trouble.) Then the whiners express delight that they themselves may have landed on such a list.***
***Then some people start to bust on those groups on social media who post paranormal pictures and ask others to share their opinions and ideas, help them decide if the photo is faked or real, as if this is the dumbest, most irritating thing in the world. ***
***Then the whining continues about the glut of new investigators to the field, and it is all their fault that we all have all the problems that we have as real, experienced, knowledgeable investigators. It's all their fault. ***
Absolutely. Let's blame all of our own weaknesses and faults on the new investigators and weekend enthusiasts. There are just too many people out there interested in the paranormal. Now I can't feel special about myself anymore. I'm no longer unique.
How does someone else's weaknesses or lack of knowledge mess with my life? I don't know...honestly. It really doesn't. It may reflect on the reputation of our field, but it only directly reflects upon them. The world does not revolve around me. It revolves around the sun, last time I checked.